How Do Occupational Therapists Work With Children?
As every family’s needs are unique and different, we encourage an initial chat to learn about your child and determine the best way we can help you.
We help you and your child by offering:
- Online Trainings for Parents to learn how to develop their child’s foundational sensory processing and motor skills.
- Parent Consultations and Trainings- During your consultation session, together, we review your concerns about your child, understand the reason behind their challenges and which developmental areas they are struggling with, come up with an action plan, and get you going with some strategies and activities to support them. This is helpful if you’re waiting for or receive minimal OT services, want advice and support individually tailored to your child’s needs right away versus searching through the internet, or don’t have access to specialised OT where you live. Consultations range from being one-offs to more longer term relationships and are available to help all children from ‘typical’ to those with more needs.
- Assessments for babies and children (virtually or direct)
- Intensive Treatment Blocks (virtually or direct) using various approaches including Sensory Integration, Neurodevelopment / Bobath, as well as self-regulation and trauma-informed care. Occupational Therapy Sessions can be provided in:
- Virtually online
- Clinic has suspended sensory equipment (therapy swings, ropes, ladders, bungees), crashpads, scooterboards, ride-on toys, and ample space for sensory integration, gross and fine motor therapies. The clinic is in a specially modified house practice where children are comfortable and happy to come to ‘Munira’s house.’ The benefit of having a house practice is the access to other parts and outdoor area to work on ‘real life’ functional skills such as gardening, cooking, feeding, climbing stairs, and playing outside.
- Home, School & Community-based Sessions to work in the child’s own environment and develop day-to-day skills with their educational team
- Virtual Teletherapy screenings, assessments, and treatments for children locally, further away in the UK, and internationally using Zoom.
- iLs – Integrated Listening Systems
All children develop at different rates, however there are important developmental milestones that they should meet. If you are questioning your child’s progress, arrange a time to call and discuss how Occupational Therapy may help.