Paediatric Occupational Therapist, ot4kids Ltd, London
Urmi is a Paediatric Occupational Therapist with over 13 years of experience having worked in private clinics, schools, an Autism Therapy Center, and was a Senior Occupational Therapist in a NHS trust.
Urmi provides assessments, direct treatment, as well as consultations and training to parents and teachers on strategies to facilitate an inclusive education. She specializes in sensory integration and supporting children with Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, ADD/ADHD, Developmental Coordination Disorder or Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Down’s syndrome, and Global Developmental Delay.
Some of her key strengths including combining multiple therapeutic approaches such as Sensory Integration, Picture Exchange Communication Systems (PECS), Visual aids, social stories and play strategies like Response Participation Attention Training Systems (RPATS). By using a creative and playful approach tailored to your child, Urmi helps them develop their skills and thrive whilst having fun. She can see your child in their home, nursery, school, or community setting.
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)- Registration number OT 76534
Continuing Professional Development and Education:
- Therapeutic Listening with Sheila Frick & Tracy Bjorling from Vital Links (Sept 2017)
- Handwriting Without Tears (pre-K to K-5)- Jan Olsen (Jan 2015)
- Handwriting Without Tears (Get Set for Schools)- Jan Olsen (Jan 2015)
- Response, Participation and Attention Training Systems (RPATS) by Dolores Scheleen (June 2011)
- Social Cognition in Autism with Indraini Basu (April 2011)
- Thinking in pictures: Visual strategies for working with children with autism by Dolores Scheleen (March 2011)
- Sensory Integration & Handwriting Dysfunctions in School Children & their Management with Dr. Asha Asher (Jan 2011)Sensory Integration Intervention (Course 4) with Erna Blanche- WPS, University of Southern California (Jan-Feb 2009)
- Sensory Integration Perspective (Course 1) with Gretchen Reeves- WPS, University of Southern California (Jan 2009)
- Making Sense of Senses with Carol Kranowitz (Sept 2006)
- Introduction to Sensory Integrative Perspective with Hemant Nandgaonkar (June 2006)
“This is to share our experience with Urmi. It’s been a blessing that Urmi entered our lives for our son Ishaan who’s now 12 years old. She started working with Ishaan early, when he was just 2 years old. Ishaan has Down’s syndrome and his motor skills and ability to perform tasks were a challenge as was his attention and ability to grasp things.
But Urmi, with her knowledge, dedication and wonderful ability to connect and care for him, helped very early in his formative years. Today Ishaan is an independent and intelligent child who can perform most daily tasks, interact and play with other kids, and is doing very well academically.
We are indebted to Urmi. She is a motivated and caring person who really wants to make a difference to her patients. We would happily recommend her to anyone. Our sincere thanks to Urmi for being a part of our lives. We miss you terribly!”
-Sunita & Deep Drona
“My son has Down’s syndrome. I was really depressed when I came to know about Soham’s diagnosis and had no idea what to do or where to go. At that time we met Urmi who was so positive, passionate, and determined in her work. Soham was under her care for more than five years. She not only helped him but also me- by talking, explaining the reason behind doing each and every activity in therapy sessions.
Her positive attitude helped me to feel optimistic about Soham’s future progress. I would say Urmi is the best thing that’s happened in his life. I would strongly recommend her.”
Urmi is a passionate and dynamic person. She has a special gift of connecting with people. She is a very dedicated professional with in depth knowledge about her work. She will be an invaluable asset to any organisation with which she is associated with.
-Bijal Modi, Occupational Therapist
“My 13-year-old son Surya has Autism. We met Urmi at a point in time where we desperately needed help. Right from the first day of therapy Surya responded very positively with Urmi. By the end of the first year Surya was a happier, independent child with fewer behaviours. Her therapy techniques helped him overcome meltdowns, aggression, auditory sensitivity and emotional inertia. A lot of milestones that we achieved are only because of Urmi’s timely guidance.”
– Lavanya B